|Last updated: 6/16/2002; 10:20:38 AM|
Marketing 101. Consulting 101. PHP Consulting. Random geeky stuff. I Blog Therefore I Am.Marketing 101: Marketing Your Blog
This article discusses "Marketing Your Blog" or "How to Get People to Read Your Blog". It could also be thought of as:
If a blogger blogs and no one reads, did it matter?
The first thing to realize is that the answer to the question above is Yes. Emphatically so. Here's why:
- I take the position that blogging is a conversation, a discourse if you will
- You can have discourse with yourself (hey, you don't talk to yourself?)
- Discourse helps clarify your understanding of anything
- Understanding is good
So, from my perspective, you really want to blog even if no one reads it. It is a useful mental exercise if nothing else.
Still, we are all attention junkies, we want our 15 minutes of fame (or link from www.scripting.com). So, the real question is: How Do I Market My Blog? Here is what I do.
- I Don't Market It. Huh? First and foremost you need to understand that blogging is about honesty and truthfullness. Classical marketing is more about "How do I bamboozle the customer into buying what they really don't need?". Marketing a blog is really about building a quality product – you just do it and then people trip over you. You can accelerate the process somewhat but accept that it takes time.
- Respond to Every Single Comment.
- Respond to Every Single Email.
- Be Topically Consistent.
- Read Other People's Blogs and Leave Comments.
- Be Audience Appropriate.
- Be High Volume. See my "Secrets of a High Volume Blogger" article.
|Copyright 2002 © The FuzzyStuff|