I have built a lot of products in my career:
- search engines
- blogging tools
- podcasting tools
- online learning systems
- hypertext authoring tools
- email marketing aka spamming tools
- Even a web UI to calculate radiation doses for prostate cancer
But the one thing that I've stayed resolutely way from is gaming. And, despite that, three days ago, I launched a product named Game Nanny so what happened?
The short answer is life happened or as I refer to it with my wife, When Life Gives You Lemons. Here's a snippet from the home page that tells the tale:
And that's the honest to god truth as how Game Nanny came into being. To summarize:
- I saw my kid had made a mistake (and, yes, a big one)
- I realized that this wasn't just a parenting problem, that it was an opportunity
- That realization took about all of a minute.
- After that first minute, I had a pretty good idea of what the product was
- Two weeks later I had a functional product
The bottom line for anyone that either perceives themself to be an entrepreneur or wants to be is that when life gives you a problem, you can look at as just that. Or you can look at your problem as "Is there an opportunity here?" and then, if you think the answer is "Yes" then build a business around it.