This is a recipe that I came up with after having a similar dish in a Mediterranean take out dish on a crazy road trip to Detroit to visit John King Books. This is a recipe but, honestly, it is more like jazz improv. You can make this from lots of ingredients you have on hand. The basic idea is a starch (rice), a protein (anything) and then Mediterranean flavored vegetables / “whatever” served in a layered bowl. This is the way I initially made it but what you do will likely vary.
- Spanish Rice
- Diced white onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced bell pepper
- Shredded Lettuce
- Garbanzo beans
- Diced Dill Pickles
- Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- Tahini (optional)
- A protein (I used sliced Rib Eye steak that I had cooked the night before) but steak / chicken / shrimp / gyro meat
- Take serving bowls for each person you are feeding and line them up in a row.
- Start by putting a layer of rice at the base.
- Add beans (1/2 can per bowl) spreading them in a layer across the rice.
- Add the vegetables, again in layers (save the fresh tomatoes for AFTER the bowl has been heated).
- Add the protein.
- Heat the bowl in the microwave (my assumption is that you are building this from leftovers).
- Add the diced pickles, lettuce, garlic sauce and tahini.
- Top with the garlic yogurt sauce.