This isn’t my recipe, it is Deanna Sjolander’s, a friend from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention world. Deanna runs cool parties at conventions and serves these as appetizers and my wife fell absolutely in love with them. And after the pickled peppers are gone, the brine is delicious in Bloody Mary’s.
Note: Any mistakes here are mine not Deanna’s; she provided the instructions but I actually wrote it up.
Ingredients - Brine
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup pickling salt
Ingredients - Pickled Peppers
- Jalapeños cut into rings
- Garlic cloves peeled and the nubbin removed
- Canning jars - 1 pint; never pickle peppers in jars larger than 1 pint
- Chop peppers into rings and peel / prep the garlic.
- Stuff them into clean jars with a “shite load” of garlic./
- Cover them with a 1/4” headspace of brine.
- Boil in water bath canner for 15 min.
Please note that this is NOT a complete guide to how to can. That’s a fairly complex topic but the basic steps are:
- Equipment - you need jars, a big canning pot with a rack, a jar lifter and a canning funnel. This is absolutely essential.
- You need to boil the jars for 10 minutes to sterilize them. You need to simmer the lids (the seal and the ring) separately in near boiling water or 10 minutes (but don’t bring them to a full boil).
- You need to fill the jars with food and seal them tightly.
- You need to process the food in the water bath for the amount of time specified in the recipe. This varies by type of food.
- Remove from the water onto a towel placed on top of the counter.
- On the next day, verify that the seal is good by removing the ring and lifting the jar by the lid.