This is a delicious soup where the flavors are very much balanced out by the potato which “de-squashes the squash” in a very, very good way.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 potatoes cubed
- 1 medium butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 32 to 48 ounces chicken stock
- 2 to 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot and then add the olive oil, and cook the onion, carrot, potatoes, and squash 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Pour in enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables. You may need to add the water (or not; depends on the size of the squash).
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot, and mix in any remaining stock to attain desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.