I found this leafing through a cookbook at a used book sale, took a quick pic of it and sadly the book was gone when I went back for. Alas since it is an absolute standout.
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 2 onions diced
- 2 cups long grain rice (you can use white or brown but if you use brown then increase the time from 20 minutes to 50 minuts in final step)
- 2 16 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- Cooked, diced chicken breast (or steak or pork chops or shrimp) (adding this at the end takes this from a side dish to a full meal); amount depends on preference
- Cook bacon in a heavy frying pan until crisp. Move to paper towel to drain. Drain off all but 2 tbsp grease.
- Cook onion for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add rice and stir until well coated with drippings and turns opaque.
- Add tomatoes, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- Crumble bacon over rice to serve.
- Add chicken breast or other protein.