This is a recipe but, honestly, it is more like jazz improv. You can make this from lots of ingredients you have on hand. The basic idea is a starch (rice), a protein (anything) and then mexican flavored vegetables / “whatever”. This is the way I initially made it but what you do will likely vary.
- A cooked starch like Spanish Rice (or white rice; whatever you have on hand); I have a recipe for this
- A cooked protein like Shrimp, Chicken, Taco Meat, Carnitas, etc shredded into bite size pieces (I used Scott’s Sizzling Garlic Chile Lime Shrimp once to great acclaim)
- A can of beans like pinto beans or black beans or great northern beans (use one can per every two bowls you are making)
- Diced onion
- Diced peppers like poblano / jalapeno / banana
- Left over cooked veggies from Salsa Chicken if you happened to just make it
- Grilled corn (one ear per bowl)
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Shredded mexican cheese mix to top the bowl
- Sour Cream to top the bowl
- Take serving bowls for each person you are feeding and line them up in a row.
- Start by putting a layer of rice at the base.
- Add beans (1/2 can per bowl) spreading them in a layer across the rice.
- Add the grilled corn as a layer.
- Add the vegetables, again in layers (save the fresh tomatoes and cilantro for AFTER the bowl has been heated).
- Add the protein.
- Heat the bowl in the microwave (my assumption is that you are building this from leftovers).
- Add the tomatoes and cilantro.
- Top with cheese and sour cream (if desired).