- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 banana pepper
- 2 poblano pepper
- 2 c. long grain white rice
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 c. tomato sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lemon / 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add onion and peppers and cook until softened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until toasted and lightly golden, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato puree, lemon juice, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, and cumin. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until all liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove lid and fluff rice with a fork. Top with cilantro and serve immediately.
I made changes to this for the recipe base.