This can be made with:
- an all cheese filling
- chicken (using canned chicken sautéed with onion)
- ground beef cooked with taco seasoning
- refried beans
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and torn into 1/2” pieces
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp gluten free flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 12 6” corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 cooked, diced flank steak / london broil
- Toast chiles and cumin in 12” skillet over medium low heat, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add to spice grinder with garlic and oregano and grind to a find powder.
- Heat oil in now empty skillet until shimmering. Whisk in flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and spic mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in broth and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and cook until gravy has thickened and reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- Whisk in vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread 1/2 cup to 1 cup of gravy in bottom of baking dish. Combine cheeses in bowl and set aside 1/2 cup of cheese for topping enchiladas.