- 24 to 30 ounces (680 to 850g) freshly ground beef chuck
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil (if finishing on stovetop)
- 4 slices cheese (optional)
- 4 soft hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- Toppings, as desired
- Set up your sous vide rig and heat to 125 (medium rare).
- Divide the meat into 6 ounce portions and shape into patties. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place patties in individual zipper-lock bags. Remove air from zipper-lock bags by closing the bags, leaving the last inch of the top unsealed. Slowly lower into the preheated water bath, sealing the bag completely just before it fully submerges. Cook according to the chart above.
- Cook for 40 minutes to 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove from bag and rest on paper towel lined plate to dry and rest until cooled to room temperature (10 min).
- Sear in a cast iron skillet for 2 minutes per side.