I first learned the term slumgullion reading a Heinlein book when I was just a lad. I’m fairly certain that it was Starman Jones. The term refers to a stew made from whatever is on hand. In the book it was made by hobos who were providing shelter to the eponymous character and they all contributed a can of something to a stew pot. I’d like to think that my version is a bit more refined but I may be kidding myself. My wife and I needed a quick dinner the other night on the way out to a birthday party and this this slumgullion was born. And its good enough that we’ve made it several times since.
- 2 ears grilled corn or another vegetable (corn is sweet though so it works well)
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 can Bush’s beans; I particularly like the Southern Style White Beans
- Salt / red pepper flakes / pepper / hot sauce (whatever your palate calls for)
- Cooked, diced chicken breast (or steak or pork chops or shrimp) (adding this at the end takes this from a side dish to a full meal); amount depends on preference
- Good olive oil, flavored if you have it, Tuscan Herb flavor is great, maybe half a tablespoon, tops
- Remove the kernels of corn from the cob.
- Add everything to a glass bowl save the olive oil.
- Stir the ingredients together.
- Heat for 2 minutes to 2 1/2 minutes depending on quantity of protein.
- Top with the olive oil. Season to your liking.