Chili is one of those wonderful meals that tends to get a bit tiring given that people tend to make big pots of chili. The first bowl is great; the second bowl is semi great, the third bowl is good but by the 5th or 6th bowl, well, you get it. My solution is that the end of any chili dish is made into Frito Pie. This is an oven baked casserole with only three ingredients - fritos, chili and cheese.
- left over chili; as much as needed for the size of baking pan you have.
- shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Take a deep metal or glass baking pan / casserole dish and lay down a base of fritos on the bottom. This forms a cornmeal like crust on the bottom.
- Top the fritos with a thick layer of chili. Ideally this isn’t a watery chili (you can always drain some of the liquid off with a colander if needed) because you don’t want to saturate the fritos with liquid.
- Top with a thick coating of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with the normal complement of chili fixings – sour cream, more crushed fritos, jalapeños, onion, etc.