- 1 lb cod
- ½ cup red onion – fine dice
- 2 tbsp chives
- 2 tbsp capers – chopped
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 tbsp olive oil (2 – saute onion, 4- saute cakes)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups almond meal*
- 2 organic eggs – beaten
- pinch S&P
- Thaw cod in a colander after you remove it from the plastic wrapping. It will be wet so make sure its dry before cooking or the cakes won’t form correctly.
- Preheat non stick skillet on medium heat for 1 minute. Add olive oil and saute onions for 3-4 minutes until soft. Once cooked, set aside and let cool. Cut the fish into large bite sized chucks and place in a food processor. Using the pulse button, blitz the fish for 30 seconds on and off. You don’t want to puree the fish just a coarse chop. Add to a large mixing bowl along with the onions, chives, capers, mustard, lemon zest and seasoning. Using clean hands mix thoroughly. Preheat skillet and cook a small bite size portion of the cake checking for additional seasoning. If satisfied with seasoning roll the cakes into tennis ball sized portions or slightly smaller.
- To Crumb Fishcakes: Set up the eggs and almond meal in two separate containers. Add a pinch of S&P to the almond meal to season. Dip the fishcakes into the egg coating the entire cake. Hold over the mixture to let the excess egg drain off then roll in the almond meal to fully coat. Flatten them out into 1/2″ thick cakes. Set aside on a baking sheet until ready to cook. All of this can be done ahead of time.
- To cook: Preheat same skillet as above. Add 4 tbsp olive oil and sear each cake for 1-2 minutes each side until golden. Remove to a foiled oven tray.