- 2 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced thin -or- frozen garlic cloves
- 2 anchovy fillets rinsed, patted dry and minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 15 oz cans cannellini beans, one drained and rinced, one undrained
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded basil
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest plus one tbsp juice
- Dissolve sugar and 1 tbsp salt in 1 quart cold water in large bowl. Submerge shrimp in brine, cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove shrimp and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil, onion, garlic, anchovies, red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper in 12” skillet over medium low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add one can drained beans, 1 can beans and their liquid, tomatoes and bring to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add shrimp, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until shrimp are opaque. Remove skillet from heat and stir in basil, lemon zest and juice. Transfer to serving dish and drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp oil.