- 1 5 pound boneless pork butt trimmed
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup apple cider or unfiltered, no sugar apple juice
- 1 cup apple butter divided
- 3 tbsp gluten free flour
- 1 onion halved thru root end
- 4 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- Pat pork dry with paper towels and sprinkle all over with salt, sugar and pepper.
- Whisk apple cider, 1/2 cup apple butter and flour together in slow cooker. Add onion and garlic. Place pork fat side down in slow cooker. Cover and cook 6 to 7 hours on high until fork slips into and out of pork easily.
- Transfer pork to carving board and tent with foil, fat side up. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Discard onion. Transfer slow cooker liquid to fat separator and get rid of all fat. Stir vinegar and remaining 1/2 cup apple butter into sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice pork crosswise 1/2” thick and arrange on serving platter. Pour one cup sauce over pork and sprinkle with chives. Serve passing remaining sauce separately.