This cake will forever be known to me as “The Covid Lemon Cake for Karen and Jeana” because I made it during the COVID-19 pandemic and delivered cakes to my friends Karen (as a thank you) and Jeana (for a late birthday). And I wrote this up for my co-worker Julia so she could make a copy of this; Thank you Julia!
I made this:
- without the cream cheese icing
- with the glaze applied 12 hours late
- with a minimal amount of ginger due to having only crappy frozen ginger on hand that I literally squeezed down to “ginger juice” due to letting it thaw due to life distractions…
and it was still delicious. It is highly, highly recommended.
There are three steps:
- Italian Lemon Pound Cake
- Lemon Glaze
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Italian Lemon Pound Cake
- 3 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or make buttermilk yourself with milk and vinegar)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp. of fresh ginger, minced
- Zest of 2 lemons ( about 2 tbsps.)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until light, fluffy and happy (aka it tastes good; happy generally tastes good). Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream, lemon juice, vanilla, ginger, and lemon zest.
- Mix half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Mix in the buttermilk and then add in the remaining flour mixture. Mix just until the flour disappears. Pour the cake batter into a bundt pan that has been generously sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake for 70 to 80 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Turn the cake over on a cake platter and remove the bundt pan.
- Spread the lemon glaze over the warm cake so that the glaze can soak into the cake. Let the cake cool completely and drizzle the lemon cream cheese frosting over the cake.
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice, at room temperature
- Whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together and mix until the glaze is smooth.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz. of cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp. of lemon zest
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 cups of powder sugar
- Mix the all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Ice the cake as you see fit.
I pulled this recipe from:
- [My Recipe Confessions] (https://myrecipeconfessions.com/desserts/italian-lemon-pound-cake/)