A good friend of mine makes this and I adore this particular dessert. Her version, however, was not gluten free and thus excluded celiac folks. I made a stab at addressing that as well as I added a blueberry syrup to channel that wonderful Lemon - Blueberry flavor mix that I am personally very fond of.
- 1 gluten free vanilla or lemon cake mix; I used Pamela’s and I’d recommend it
- 1 package lemon jello, small size (not the giant)
- 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cups oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 T lemon juice (I boosted this considerably to allow for the fact that I had a white, vanilla cake mix)
- Zest of one lemon
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons water, divided
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch (or tapioca starch for grain-free)
- In a bowl combine lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Mix well.
- In a stand mixer combine eggs and all liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Add cake mix and lemon zest and mix well.
- Pour into sheet cake pan, 13x9, and bake at 325 for 35 minutes until toothpick inserted comes clean
- When cake comes out of oven, let cool for 10 minutes and then puncture the top repeatedly with tines of a fork or a wooden skewer and pour lemon glaze over it.
- Serve with blueberry sauce drizzled over it.
- Combine 2 Tablespoons water and cornstarch in a small dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, sugar or honey, and blueberries to a boil. Stir occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add water+starch mixture and blend well. The sauce will thicken, the blueberries will have busted open and it begins to smell like pie.
- Store in refrigerator up to two weeks. Take out a few minutes before serving at room temperature or warm.