So I was hosting a barbecue recently and one of the guests, my friend Lisa Meece of Starbase Indy, said “Do you have any pickle relish”? While I grew up with relish and I really like pickles, I have normally found it a confusing condiment to say the least and with the exception of Chicago Style Hot Dogs, eaten only in Chicago (without the sport peppers), I never, ever use it. Never the less, “Challenge Accepted” I muttered while channeling the spirit of Barney Stinson.
This was the result of a quick google and then an “Oh Shite” moment where I realized I had damn few appropriate ingredients. And it as completely an off the cuff recipe so is it actually “Pickle Relish”? I don’t know but the requester seemed to like it.
- Diced Claussen Kosher Dill Sandwich Slice Pickles (that’s what I used but any dill pickle could be used)
- Diced onion in proportion to the amount of diced pickle; you want about 1/3 onion to pickle
- Apple Cider Vinegar also in proportion to the pickle and onion totality
- Dice the pickle and onion.
- In a small frying pan bring the cider vinegar to a boil and reduce it slightly to make it syrupy.
- Add the pickle and onion and stir it around letting the heat of the boiling vinegar cook it slightly.
- Take it off the heat and leave it in the hot pan for a minute or two.