I hang around the science fiction convention circuit (note - StarBase Indy is my favorite con) more than a bit and I’ve seen a lot of interesting cocktails. I made this cocktail for my friend Beaker because he loves oatmeal cookies.
- To make this easily you really, really need a Nut Milk bag. These are reusable bags that you can put the oatmeal in and then immerse in a container of vodka and it captures almost all the sediment that you would otherwise strain out with cheesecloth.
- A metal coffee filter gets the rest of the sediment.
Step 1: Make Oatmeal Infused Vodka
- 20 ounces vodka.
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- Add the oatmeal to the nut milk bag and put in a metal or glass bowl.
- Pour the vodka over it.
- Wait 24 hours and then squeeze the nut milk bag hard to get the vodka out.
- Pass the vodka thru the metal strainer to capture the rest of the sediment.
- Store the vodka in a large mason jar, the type used for moonshine.
Step 2: Add Honey and Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- Add the cinnamon and honey to the vodka.
- Shake and let sit overnight.
- Discard the cinnamon stick.
Step 3: Make the Cocktail
- 1 or 2 shots of the Oatmeal Infused Vodka with the Honey and Cinnamon depending on how strong you want it
- 1 shot apple juice
- Shake the container of Oatmeal Infused Vodka with the Honey and Cinnamon well. The honey is thick and will sink to the bottom so shake it like you mean it!
- In a glass combine ice, vodka and apple juice and stir.