At a dear friend’s birthday party we recently made these over and over. For a summery drink where you aren’t looking for a serious alcohol experience but something light and refreshing, it is hard to beat a mojito.
- 1 shot plain -or- coconut rum
- 6 fresh mint leaves (preferably home grown and picked about 10 minutes before making the drink)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Club Soda
- Mortar and Pestle for muddling
- In a tall glass, put ice.
- Add mint leaves to mortar. Add sugar on top of it. Muddle the sugar with the mint.
- Add the muddled sugar and mint to the glass with ice.
- Add the shot of rum to the mortar to wash the sugar residue clean and pour it into the glass.
- If mortar is clean then add the club soda right to the glass; otherwise add some club soda to the mortar and then pour it into the glass. Top iwth remaining club soda.