Note: As written, this recipe DOES NOT WORK. It is tasty but chewy and not room temperature stable, not brittle like a true brittle. My suspicion is that I added too much rum. The original recipe had rum extract not rum itself and I suspect that was the issue. Still it was an interesting experiment (it is tasty though).
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (11.5 oz) light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Spiced Rum (I used Oakheart)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter a 15x10x1 pan and set aside.
- In a glass bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes. Stir. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the chopped nuts, butter, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and nutmeg.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 2 minutes or until mixture turns a light amber color.
- Quickly stir in baking soda and extracts until light and foamy.
- Pour into prepared pan and cool completely.
- Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.