- 6 bacon strips
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 lb ground beef, 80-20 mix
- 1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (optional; I’ve never used it and it was fine without them)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- Place the uncooked bacon into a food processor and process for about 1 minute or until bacon is finely ground up. Add in the onion and process until onion is finely chopped and mixed in.
- Spoon bacon and onion mixture into large bowl. Add ground beef, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, chili powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Scoop out the meat mixture and roll into balls using your palms, should make about 24 1 inch meatballs.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Place the meatballs into the sauce pan and cook, turning every couple minutes to ensure all sides cook evenly. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until fully cooked. Alternatively back on a rack in a sheet tray, 10 minutes per side.
- Remove the meatballs and set aside. Remove the pan from the heat and pour out the excess grease.
- Add the barbecue sauce, water and bourbon to the saucepan and return to heat. Stir to mix the sauce together. Add in the meatballs and allow them to simmer in the sauce for at least 10 minutes.
See: House of Yumm