This started out as a variant on the sauce I use for my chicken enchiladas but what began as a red sauce instead is now much, much more like a mole sauce.
Note: This makes quite a lot of sauce, enough for 2 or 3 pans of enchiladas.
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp masa (corn flour)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp tsp garlic power
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup canned, fire roasted, diced tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 can diced green peppers, mild
- Heat the 3 tbsp olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the dried spices and flour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato paste with a whisk and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth and diced green peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar.
- Pour over the top of enchiladas or use as a side dipping sauce.