Teriyaki “whatever” is one of those foods that my kids just can’t get enough of – and it is easy to see why. Teriyaki sauce is sweet, thick, clingy and makes almost any food taste better. Here is an easy to follow recipe to make your own teriyaki sauce so you don’t have to stop eating it when you can’t find a gluten free version in the store. Please note that since we don’t buy it in the store anymore this is a double sized batch so there is plenty to go around!
- 1/2 cup gluten free soy sauce. I like SanJ.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar + 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- In a sauce pan, preferably a broad one like a frying pan, combine all the ingredients from step 1. To make it easier to get the honey off the measuring spoon, spray the spoon first with a non stick spray like Pam.
- Whisk the ingredients together and turn the heat up so that they combine while you are whisking.
- Combine the ingredients from step 2 into a slurry or paste. Add this paste to the teriyaki sauce in the pan, whisking as you go. Taste and adjust thickness by adding a bit more water if needed.