This morning has been more than a tad frustrating – and let’s leave Tad out of this, shall we? I’ve been engaged in bringing my 2011 MacBook Pro 15 back to life. After a brief venture into Linux, I found that I really needed the data on this box back and despite my Time Machine woes I was able to restore most everything. I’m now trying to make it actually a functional development tool since it is the only machine that generally seems to run this particular obsolete gem stack – although Dv would argue I should just kill everything and run Vagrant – something I’m thinking about.

Here’s the process I’ve been thru:

  • kill brew and reinstall it: ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/uninstall)” and then ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”
  • kill rvm and re-install it: rvm implode and then **\curl -sSL https://get.rvm.io bash** Docs
  • install cask room: brew cask install google-chrome Docs
  • kill bundler and re-install it: gem install bundler
  • kill gem and reinstall it: gem update –system ‘2.3.0’ SO

I then updated my Ansible MacBook Pro configuration routine and ran it against the box. And then I hit a high degree of code rot that, well, totally ruined my day.