One of the reasons that I started blogging and continue to blog* is personal knowledge capture. My own blog represents the knowledge that I gather during the course of my day to day work. And that brings us to this crazy error message:
"chef" "ERROR: Encoding::CompatibilityError: incompatible character encodings: ASCII-8BIT and UTF-8"
I got this when I was running a single chef routine that I had documented here (see my last post on Chef):
bundle exec knife solo cook email@example.com -o 'server_setup::vim_configuration'
So I was pretty much certain that it worked. Well it did. But the representation in my blog was actually wrong – the single quotes had been transposed to single curly quotes in either direction. Oy!
*Albeit after a multi year hiatus that I regretted constantly and still regret.